Hello from Sydney!

Hello from Sydney!

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Baby, It's Cold Outside…. Letter from June 8, 2015


I feel like I should be singing Christmas songs because it's so cold. We're snuggling by the heater with our fleece blankets and in our fuzzy socks. But then we remember we're in 'straya. 

This week was a miracle week

Shulin's Baptism
Shulin got baptised!!!!! This whole experience was definitely a trial of my faith. I personally didn't think he was going to be baptised, based on our recent lessons with him. He was busy with finals this week, and we finally got to see him on Friday afternoon. During our lesson, we asked him straight up about baptism. He said he still needed more time and wants to increase his faith. We told him that it wouldn't increase if he didn't act on the faith he already has, and the next act is to be baptised. He was still a little hesitant, but then we invited him to pray with us right then and there and ask God if he should be baptised tomorrow or the following week or at some other time. We instructed him to wait after the prayer and just listen to his thoughts and feelings. He said a very powerful, simple, heartfelt prayer and then we waited in silence for over 5 minutes. The anticipation was killing us. Then he looked up and said, I think I need to be baptised tomorrow. The spirit in that room, despite the noise and craziness around us, was so peaceful. It felt so right. Sister Uitu started crying. It was incredible. So then we starting planning his baptismal service. We called everyone in the ward and ended up with a nice, small, and simple service. Right before, the EQ president (who picked Shulin up) called, saying that the house they went to said Shulin doesn't live there and none of us could get a hold of him. I panicked and thought of the worst case scenario. It was crazy. But then everything worked out and his phone is just being silly, and he lived at the house right next door. I got to bear my testimony and sing in Chinese and that was really cool. The Gift of Tongues is real because I know my Chinese is no where near sufficient enough to bear the testimony I bore. He also had an incredible blessing when he was confirmed. He was blessed that he would have the courage to help others receive the Gospel as he received it. Then I thought to myself, HE'S GOING ON A MISSION. Okay, so we'll see what happens, but that would be so cool! Also, we have the same surname! Liu! We might be cousins!! It was a very humbling experience and I know that Heavenly Father is preparing His children to receive the Gospel. 

On Tuesday, we had a conference with Elder Pearson, the area president who was doing a mission tour. That was REVELATORY.  Elder and Sister Pearson are so boss. Super bold and straight forward with high expectations, but they do it with love. It reminds me of the way I was raised, both at home and at school. There was no room for mediocrity when we can excel in what we do. We're doing well, but we can be doing so much better. There is no need to be shy about asking for referrals. There is no need to be casual about the Lord's work. We are here as servants of the Lord. 
As we applied the revelation we received into our work, we saw so many miracles. We had 3 new investigators and I felt that our companionship has grown closer as we've made a conscious effort to invite the spirit into our companionship. 
Seriously, it was amazing. 

Conference with Elder Pearson
The work is going forth. It's amazing to see what has happened in the 6 months I've been in Newcastle. Every fast and testimony meeting, we are encouraged by President to ask a few members to bear testimony of their missionary experiences or on missionary work to set the tone for the meeting. So we did that, we invited a member and one of the primary kids to bear their testimonies and we had such a powerful meeting!! All of the testimonies that were shared were so incredible and full of the spirit. It was really neat. 

I'd like to invite you all to look for missionary opportunities in your daily lives. Jessie and Mum, you have a great opportunity on Thursday as you travel. Carry a pamphlet or Book of Mormon with you. Write your testimony in it and give it out on the plane/at the airport. Every person that walks by you is a child of God and deserves the opportunity to receive eternal life. Let me know how it goes :D

Heavenly Father is pouring down blessings. Yes, I'm tired and I'm stressed (although I shouldn't complain...think about the prophet and apostles), but it is so so so worth it. 

I'm grateful for the opportunity I have to serve my Heavenly Father. I'm so grateful for His love in my life. 

Love you all heaps! Safe travels and stay healthy! 

Sister Lew

No comments:

Post a Comment