Hello from Sydney!

Hello from Sydney!

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Fat Sister Lew - I call myself that so skinny chicks like you don't do it behind my back

I felt like having a trunkie moment with Pitch Perfect. We went to dinner with two sisters in our ward before they went to see Pitch Perfect 2 and I was like...okay cool, just tell us all about it. So they're two mothers, you would think they're old and motherly, but they're like high schoolers. It's great. 

Anyways. This week has been LONG, cold, and rainy. One of my goals was to be less bossy, not take the lead. That was so hard. I've been blessed to have companions in the past with just as strong personalities, that we worked well together and with each other, but for the past 7 weeks, it's been me doing the planning and organising. I try to guide my companion through it but she expects me to do it all, so this week, I made her do it. Wow, that was frustrating... Most of it was like figuring out which bus to take, where to, and where and when to transfer buses. Simple city life stuff, and we had been doing it for 6 weeks prior to that, so I figured she'd have some sort of clue. Not at all. But I made her do it. It's so hard to sit back when you know it's easier to just do it yourself. But that's okay, it was a learning experience. She's patient with my lack of patience and I'm very grateful for that. 

We did have a miracle though! We missed the bus and we decided to help out an older Chinese lady who was nearby. It turns out that we were an answer to her prayers because her arms were sore and tired and she didn't want to do the front yard chores, but had to, so we helped her. She invited us into her home and it reminded me of Asia, super cute. She even gave us slippers to wear inside haha! She's Christian herself and definitely sees the hand of the Lord in her life. It was beautiful. 

Shulin is progressing really well! He came to church, and as our WML pointed out, his countenance from the first time he came to now has changed so much. We are praying that he continues to have spiritual experiences so that he will be prepared to be baptised next month. 
Kylie, unfortunately, suffered a mini-heart attack, but she's alright. We've been seeing her so it's good and she's recovering. 

We've been doing a lot of less-active work this week, and my testimony of doing less-active work has increased so much. It's so powerful when we work with people who recognise the presence of the spirit in their lives and the steps they're taking to come closer to our Saviour to feel the spirit more. 

Other than that, life is good. We have new sisters in the flat who are great! Sister Afualo from American Samoa and Sister Stigen from Mesa, AZ. They're so fun to be with, and so the four of us have been having a ball. 
I love the missionaries here. The spirit is always so strong when we're together. I'm grateful to be in such an amazing mission where everyone here is so purpose driven. We know why we are here and we're willing to work. 

Last night, Elder Cook of the Quorum of the Twelve did a fireside, so we watched the broadcast, and surprise surprise...it was all on marriage.. It's good for us missionaries to know how we can better help the families we work with. Lots of revelation received. Families are ordained of God. They are so so so important. A successful family comes from first, having a successful marriage built on the principles of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Elder Pearson, the area president, also brought up a really good point. The fruits of the spirit (Galatians 5:12?) are a choice. We can choose to feel the spirit in any circumstance. When crappy things happen, we can still choose to be happy. We're only miserable because we're allowing the natural man to take over. 

I'm excited! This week is going to be really good! Tomorrow we have a missionary conference with Elder Cook then we have zone conference on Thursday. I love trainings and meetings!! They always have the perfect balance of being rebuked and motivated to do the Lord's work. 

I hope you're doing well. Have a great week! Love you all heaps!

Sister Lew

No comments:

Post a Comment